Sunday, October 11, 2020

I grew up here with 3 sisters, 1 brother, mother and stepfather. Went from K-7th grade before we moved and did the normal stuff kids do. Lots of basketball, football, baseball and playground. Enjoyed and endured all 4 seasons. Who can forget knee deep snow or beautiful autumn leaves! Got my first job and bank account while here and learned to ride the bus all over town. It was great having few responsibilities and almost no worries.

I remember where I was when JFK and MLK Jr. were assassinated. I remember when the riots broke out and ruined some neighborhoods. I remember learning that being black in America was not easy.  I learned what it meant to be poor and how cruel others could be. I learned to survive in a world that was literally black and white (no color tv yet!) and the rotary dial phone was the latest technology.

I think about this place and the things that happened here so often now because everything comes full circle. The things that affected me then affect me now. The more things change, the more they stay the same. 

There are some who would make light of how people have been treated over the years because of race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or financial status. The great thing about America is that all are entitled to their beliefs. I look forward to the day when none of that matters and the human race learns and relishes living as one noble family. πŸ‘©πŸ‘¨πŸ»πŸ§‘πŸΌπŸ‘§πŸ½πŸ‘¦πŸΎπŸ§’πŸΏ

Follow me on webtalk
 

No comments:

Post a Comment